Soil Conservation Society of India was born at Hazaribagh. Bihar (now in Jharkhand) in December 1951. at the first National Symposium on Soil Conservation organized by the first multidisciplinary Department of Soil Conservation created by the Damodar Valley Corporation on the pattern of the TVA-Tennessee Valley Authority (USA). It was registered at Patna, Bihar vide Registration No. 14 of 1952-53 under the Societies Registration Act of 1860.
The headquarter of the society was Hazaribagh from 1952 to 1989 in Bihar state now in Jharkhand state. It was shifted from Hazaribagh to New Delhi as resolved in a meeting of the General Body held on January 19, 1990 at IARI (Pusa), New Delhi. A regular office has now been established which is functioning in a systematic manner with the close coordination with relevant Ministry/Departments at the Central and State Govt. Departments in the country, ICAR, Research and Training Institute, NGOs and dedicated member of the Society. The present Address of the Society is: G-4 National Societies Block-A, National Agriculture Science Centre Complex, DPS Marg, New Delhi.
The Society is mandate to the welfare of farmers and all the rural people whose livelihoods are associated with the management of natural resources. It works for the cause of conservation, development, management and sustainable use of the soil, land, water and associated resources of plants and animals. It is an association of conservationists, scientists, academicians, professionals and all those who pledge to work for the wise use of the precious finite and limited soil resources. The society publishes its quarterly Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, India (ISSN 0022-457X) where peer reviewed research papers, review articles and general articles are published. Society also publishes its Newsletter Soil and Water Conservation Today (ISSN 0975-4059) quarterly. Society has published many books, monographs, proceedings and guides. There are more than 2700 life members of the society.
|Dr. TBS Rajput